2023-2024 Program Requirements for ELP
As participants in the program, Emerging Leader participants are required to:
- Engage weekly with a second-year mentor who will be assigned to them as a guide throughout their Emerging Leaders Program experience.
- Participate in leadership events throughout their first year, including the completion of 10 hours of community service and 10 hours of leadership involvement each semester.
- Enroll in and successfully complete VCU Emerging Leaders courses: REAL301 (3 credits- fall semester) and REAL491 (1 credit-spring semester)
- If you are a residential student, live in the Emerging Leader community located in the new Gladding Residence Center (GRC). **Please note that ELP students living on-campus can only live with other ELP students**
- Attend bi-weekly meetings with the full program staff and participants, Wednesdays from 5-6pm.
- Attend RAM CAMP, a week-long leadership camp for incoming first-year students, from Monday, August 14-Thursday, August 17
- Attend the Emerging Leaders Program kickoff and orientation, scheduled for Friday, August 18, 2023
Fall Semester: REAL301: Principles of Leadership – 3 Credit Hours
This seminar will provide an overview of the theories, models and perspectives of the field of leadership studies. Students will explore leadership in terms of the role of leaders, the role of followers and the context in which leadership occurs. With an emphasis on practical application of leadership, students will evaluate their own leadership experiences in terms of the course contents, while also exploring contemporary examples of leadership.
Spring Semester: REAL491: Special Topics in Leadership and Experiential Learning – 1 Credit Hour
This seminar will create opportunities for students to practice and apply leadership skills and theories in a variety of unique settings including study abroad, alternative service trips, leadership competitions, and more.
We have one hour meetings from 5-6pm every other Wednesday during each semester. These meetings are mandatory for all ELP students.